Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mom, the Encourager

In going through some of my things today I found a packet of letters and cards my family and friends sent to me my first semester away at college. (Yes, actual letters...this was before e-mail!) I found lots of sweet notes from Mom, all of them encouraging and heart warming, but this one in particular gives me great comfort:

*************************************************************************************
Dear Sweetie:

Hello babe. I sure miss walking in your room and trying to wake you. I enjoyed your card and message of encouragement to us as parents. You are a treasure, a gift from God. Our 19 years together have been wonderful and I am looking forward to the next years-education, marriage, children, career. There is such a great world ahead of you. I know that there will be hurts, disappointments and trials but as a Christian you have a tremendous resource in God. Always keep your ears turned to the Holy Spirit. He is your teacher and your comforter. You have us to encourage you, new friends, old friends, plus a good church, pastor and youth leader. Let God's word be a source of encouragement, direction and guidance. Remember Prov. 3:5 and 6. I will feel the most reassurance and confidence in the knowledge of God's hand on you and your hand in the hand of God. God bless and keep you.

Love, hugs, kisses and prayers, Mom
*************************************************************************************

Mom was such a woman of faith...she was comforted by her intimate knowledge of her savior, and I hope to live the life of faith that she did. She knew we would be OK...no matter what trials and tribulations came our way, as long as we were deeply rooted in the Word of God, and with the Holy Spirit as our guide and comfort. During this trial, this painful loss of HER in our lives, I know it's true. I know we will be OK. That doesn't mean we don't hurt, grieve or cry, but we know we will see her on the other side.

2 comments:

Jen Crane said...

girlie, thanks for sharing that letter from your mom. again, i am challenged to be that kind of mother to my girls!! love you!

trica said...

hey jen, that letter is awesome. Thanks for sharing it, your mom's life was a living testimony of her faith, and she challenged us everyday to walk in the Holy Spirit.
Love ya!