Monday, July 14, 2008

Finding My Wings!

I have tried several times to write something for this blog dedicated to my beautiful wife Cheri. My daughter Jeni set this up and maintains it in her memory. No doubt Jeni (or Jenifer as she is called by all except me...she'll always be my Jeni!) and my other kids, Jason, Justin and Jonathan have a hard time writing as well. Not that we don't have plenty to write about but sometimes the pain is too great to put things down in words.

How do you sum up 36 years (2 years dating and engaged) of being around a living saint? Yes, I believe that Cheri was a saint in the truest sense. But I never appreciated her in that vein until she left us on the morning of June 12, 2008. I have sat and reminisced for hours on the past years of our life together. From the moment I saw here in early 1972 as I was enrolling at Berean Bible School in San Diego, CA., I knew she was a very special woman. There was something in her that literally made her glow with the joy of life. I soon found out that something was her love relationship with her Lord, Jesus Christ. God shined His favor on me and I won her heart and we married on June 22, 1974. Needless to say our early marriage was not one to brag about and I know that I made her life miserable with my attitude, anger and selfishness. She stuck it out though, and almost made it to our 34 anniversary (June 22, 2008).

I love my wife and I miss her in the most terrible way. God IS good and He is Faithful. He has covered my kids and I with grace, love and the prayers of literally thousands of His people, a large number of whom we don't even know. But, I still miss her! I am so blessed to have such wonderful, loving kids as I do. They have been a solid rock of support and encouragement to me as I have tried to be to them. I know they miss their mom very, very much. We all know where she is and also know that one day we will all be together again in the presence of our Father and our Lord. Until then life goes on.

One of Cheri's favorite songs is a relatively new one by Mark Harris titled "Find Your Wings". This song rally epitomizes her love, dedication and support for her students at Covenant Christian Academy in McAllen, TX. Ironically she went to be with her Lord right as she was turning into the school that fateful morning in June! Since I'm beginning to ramble allow me to share with you the chorus from the song that really highlights her love for own children and those at CCA.

"I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams,
And that faith gives you the courage to dare to do great things,
I'm here for you whatever this lives brings,
So let my love give you roots and help you find your wings."

Sorry for the long post but I feel better! Bless you and yours!

Barney Sarver

1 comment:

Jen Crane said...

barney,

thanks for sharing your heart with all of us - we love you guys.

hugs,
jenifer (myers) crane