Sunday, July 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Cheri!

Tomorrow, July 21st. would have been Cheri's 56th. birthday! She did not look 56! I don't know what that means but she looked and certainly acted much younger. I was never very good at giving her presents and cards. I did give those things to her but a lot of times it was out of a sense of duty and not love nor appreciation. How I wish I would have been more caring and sensitive to her needs and wishes. It's the little things dummy!

I just returned from a "Real Men of Impact" conference in Fort Worth with 10 of Baptist Temple's Men's Ministry Leadership Team. We had an incredible time of fellowship and bonding. One of the sessions that many of us attended was entitled "Letters From Dad". It was about writing a letter of love and appreciation telling each of your children (individually), your wife and even parents how much they were loved and appreciated. Needless to say it was a real "tear jerker" for me to attend as it was for most of those men in the class as well.

I used to write Cheri great love letters when I was courting her and while she was in Texas away from me in San Diego. But like most men, after we were wed, I began to take her for granted and let those little things like love notes and flowers fall by the wayside. You know, it does not take much to show you wife that you love her. Why are we (men) so dense when it comes to the needs and desires of our wives?

With all the above in mind and the occasion of Cheri's birthday on the 21st., I'm going to write her a letter of Blessing to say how I feel about her and post it for you to read. Perhaps it will inspire a husband or father who may read it to do the same for his wife and kids while he and they are still around to appreciate it.

My Dear Cheri,
On this day of July 21, 2008, I want to give you a Blessing.
I am Blessed because you are the mother of our children.
I am Blessed because you love me in spite of all my faults and shortcomings.
I am Blessed because you openly and freely love our Lord Jesus Christ.
I am Blessed because of your incredibly radiant smile.
I am Blessed because of your love, care, and nurturing of our children.
I am Blessed because you have forgiven me thousands of times when I hurt you.
I am Blessed because you pray daily for our family, including me.
I am Blessed because of your beautiful voice when you sing.
I am Blessed because of your love for Covenant Christian Academy.
I am Blessed because of your love for God's House and His people
I am Blessed because of the way you honor and esteem me.
I am Blessed because of the way you encourage me.
I am Blessed because I see you in our four wonderful, talented, gifted children.
I am Blessed because you chose me to be your husband 34 years ago.
I am Blessed because I know that one day I will see you again.
My life has been made richer and has been more fulfilling because of You!
Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We were truly blessed have a Mom like her. We ARE truly blessed to have a Dad like we do.