Friday, August 29, 2008

First Week of School!

Today (Friday, 8/29/08) marks the end of the first week of school at Covenant Christian Academy for the 08-09 year. This is the first time in 12 years that Cheri has not been there and the first time that the K4-8th graders have not had her there as either their teacher or principal. Tough week for almost all of the teachers including me.

Susie Booth, Laura Cohrs, Trica Salinas, Karen Heck Stephanie Back, Laural Griffin, Milton Gonzalez (our new principal) and most of other teachers and adults present were all in tears at the opening assembly in the new "Ms. Cheri's Gym" on Wednesday, the 27th. Especailly hard was the worship time led by Brandon Vale, CCA's Science teacher and an accomplished singer/musician. The Lord gave him a new song inspired by Cheri's slogan of "we are blessed to be a blessing". A great song but tough for us to sing since it reminded us of our loss. Cheri would have been excited (and she is) about the song. Good beat and meaningful words.

During the week so many of the little kids would run up and hug me and say "we are praying for your and your family", "I'm sorry that Ms Cheri's is gone", "Don't worry Mr. B, she is in Heaven with Jesus". Do you know how hard it is to hold back the tears when a little first or second grader tells you something like that? God gave me grace and strength because I did not want them to feel bad by bawling like a baby in front of them. Wonderful, sensative, Godly little kids. I'm so blessed to be able to be a part of the faculty at CCA.

That is the legacy the Cheri has left us and we will continue on to honor the Lord and her memory. CCA has grown and will continue on doing so as we trust the Lord and follow His leading in the management and growth of Covenant Christian Academy.

2 comments:

maddogamus said...

mr b its me mady, i know how hard it must be for u and your family, me and my family still cry about it too! i can honestly say that my mom hasnt gone one day without crying, but we have to go through this together. as you always say, " you can be bitter or better". and that is what i think about when i think about her being gone and how mad i could be about the boy who killed my moms best friend, my school grandma, the person who even knew who my crushes were, in just a matter of seconds, but i know that everything happens for a purpose. and i do miss her, but i know that it will be ok. i love you sarver family, love madyson cohrs...

utsarver said...

Madyson, you are so sweet! Thanks for keeping Ms. Cheri's memory alive by being full of life, energy and love. Hug your Mom for me...Love, Jen