Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Day to Remember


About this time (8:25 am) exactly 2 months ago Justin (#2 son) called me on my cell phone while I was playing golf with Jason (#1 son) in Maryland. I was in D.C. to spend the Father's Day weekend with Jeni and Jason golfing, sightseeing, restaurant hopping and just enjoying spending time with both of them. Justin's call was short and hard hitting, "Mom's been in an accident and I'm heading to the hospital"! Jason and I immediately left the course and headed back to D.C. A few short minutes later, my best friend James called and said the most hard hitting, unbelievable words I have ever heard, "Cheri's gone Barney. She didn't make it."! I cannot explain how helpless and shocked I felt at that moment, to be so far away from the situation and not being able to be with Cheri or to comfort Justin and Jonathan at their moment of greatest need.

I knew instantly that God was in control. In fact the thought never entered my mind that He wasn't. No anger, no questioning, no confusion. God has a plan and His plan is ALWAYS best and produces exactly what He intends. Almost in the same instant I felt a peace and strength come over me that I had never before experienced. I knew that the Lord was covering and protecting my kids and I for the days and weeks ahead that we needed to face. And to this day we still feel that special grace and protection He has blessed us with.

I am so grateful for my church (Baptist Temple), my FCA brothers and sisters, and the parents and staff of Covenant Christian Academy (where Cheri was the principal) for all the prayers, cards, letters, e-mails, text messaging, food and support during the past two months. The various communities of the Rio Grande Valley have shown their concern and love by letters, cards and e-mails as well. Almost every coaching staff in S. Texas has sent their condolances to our family as well. We have been supported and encouraged by folks literally from all over the world. I don't know how people can go through something like this without the strength of the Lord and the love and support from fellow Believers. There is such a comfort and strength given and received from those that Love the Lord.

It has been an incredible experience! We have always been a real close family but this situation has brought us even closer. We have seen and felt first hand the strength and grace of the Body of Christ in action. There is a much bigger picture here than just the Sarver family. God has and is using this seemingly tragic accident as a catalyst to reach hundreds and even thousands of people with the "Good News" of Jesus Christ. Lives are being changed for eternity because of the single life of Cheri Sarver. This day, two months ago began like a rock being dropped into a pond of water. The ripples of that drop are reaching out to people in every widening circles, touching their lives by the life of Cheri.

So, today reminds us that Cheri has "graduated" to her heavenly reward. But, it also reminds us that God began a great, new work in a multitude of lives on this day as well. That work will continue until God's perfect plan has been accomplished. God is Good!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Praise God for you, Barney! What an amazing testimony. What a great way to document the 2 month anniversary. We pray for you often.

Christian and Stephanie Torres

maddogamus said...

i love you mr b and i love that picture of you and ms cheri,
im sooooo sorry about your loss, but you are sooo in my prayers.
love madyson CCA student of 9 yrs!

Pam said...

Barney,

So happy to read that you have that same glowing attitude you've always had. No bitterness, no why me, just all about God's plan and God's will - and that He knows best. What a blessing you are - a perfect example of "talking the walk and walking the talk". Our prayers continue to be with you and your precious family!

Pam (Jackson) Fitzsimons
pam.fitzsimons@gmail.com
San Antonio, TX

Annie in Vancouver said...

Dear Brother,
You probably won’t even remember Joe and I from BMT, in San Diego. We all attended BBC together maybe 32 years ago? I was talking to Redasue Henson-Fraser and she shared your sad news. Thank you for setting up a blog to honor such a precious saint. Even though it has been years, I remember her JOYFUL countenance, and she was always lifting up others. I read your blog and am thankful that you realize the Sovereignty of our God, and understand that, “ITSNOTABOUTUS.” So many of us in this world think we are the center of the universe and fail to see His hand. You are so blest to realize it.
May His grace continue upon you and your children all the days of your lives.
Anna Webb - Vancouver, WA