Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas in Mexico

This year we decided to head South for Christmas. Knowing that this particularly holiday would be especially hard without Mom, we thought a fun, activity-filled tropical vacation was in order. So we planned a trip to Playa del Carmen, Mexico where we could blissfully ignore all of the holiday traditions and memories that might have caused sadness rather then joy on this happiness of holidays. Well, after a few mishaps along the way (lost passports, wrong names on tickets, 3-hour plane delays) our plan worked. We had a great Christmas in Playa full of fun, laughter and new memories. We snorkeled, swam, canoed, zip-lined, biked, rappelled, cave dived, played beach volleyball, hiked and climbed to the top of an ancient Mayan pyramid at Coba. (We're pictured above at the top of the pyramid.)

As you can see, we were more "active" then a normal beach vacation and spent a lot of time hiking around and exploring the beautiful sites. This is a view from the cliffs of Tulum, another Mayan village we explored. We did spend a day lounging by one of the two huge pools with poolside food and drinks service. Below is a picture of the Sarver Boys horsing around in the pool.


We stayed at the beautiful new Hacienda Tres Rios along the Riviera Maya. The resort was less than a month old, and was built on the site of a nature preserve, so there was lush vegitation, natural pools called cenotes, bike trails, animal watching and of course, there was lots of eating at our luxurious "all inclusive" resort. After all that eating, we had to enjoy some time in the sun (with suncsreen, of course!).

Overall, we had a great time goofing off with one another and celebrating Christmas. We hope to revive many of our family traditions next year...Mom's Swedish cookies and meatballs, a special Christmas breakfast with sausage and gravy, homemade apple sauce and eggs, a night around the tree with crackers and cheese and sparkling wine, sharing our favorite holiday memories. (Boy, it seems like a lot of our traditions revolve around FOOD!) While we missed Mom dearly, and her seat at the table was noticeably empty, we were grateful for the time time together and for the many blessings God has given us. Merry Christmas to all and best wishes for a Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Barney Sarver said...

Yes, Christmas was decidedly different without Cheri in our midst, warning us to behave, put on sunscreen, don't eat so much, etc. Most of all we missed her wonderful smile, laughter, beautiful blue eyes and of course all of the normal family traditions that Jeni mentioned on her blog.

But, the main thing is we were able to be together as a family. It was great fun to watch my boys goof off as they have all their lives challenging each other to weird feats of who knows what, and trying to outdo each other in everything. Jeni was patiently (really)waiting for all of us to settle down and act proper, whatever that means.

Out time was well spent in Mexico. The people were gratious, helpful and eager to please. The food was outstanding and the accomodations were very comfortable at Hacienda Tres Rios.

I thank the Lord for His grace and strength during the last 6 months. It has been difficult without my soulmate but He has filled in the gaps with His presence and with the love and support of my wonderful family, great church, the FCA, the Covenant Christian Academy family and all our other friends. It is truly a blessing to be in the family of God.

I wish all a very Happy New year and may the Lord show Himself in a new and exciting way to you this year.

Jessica Wade- Norris said...

Well, i can not imagine what your family has gone through these past couple months. My brother who still lives in the valley told me about what had happen. I am not sure you will remember me. However, i remember you and your family. I remember going to FCA camp. I also think that your family attend the church at the time the Keller's were the youth leaders at the time. I do remember Cheri and how welcoming she was. Your whole family was that way. I have continue to pray for your family right now as well as the Keller family.

This is a Scripture that has helped me in sad times and i wanted to share.

Psalm 25:1-2

To you O Lord, I lift up my soul;in you i trust, O my God.
Do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me.

I have always felt that where ever you are go and bow and trust in the Lord. He will help you through anything.

It is great to read the blog and keep up with you all.

I love you all and will keep praying. Take care and God Bless

Love
Jessica Wade- Norris

DeeDee Gebhardt said...

Barney and family,

I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you guys at Christmas. When Cheri passed, my parents were in shock (they had been to many of the events at CCA). Shortly after, my father died unexpectedly from a stroke. Dad owned a restaurant, so he loved to bake and cook our favorite foods at the holidays. His absence at the dinner table was hard to stomach, but with God's unending love, we were able to not only make it through, but to celebrate Dad's life and, most important, the gift of Jesus Christ. I just wanted you guys to know we are going through this year of "firsts" with you. Take care. You are in my prayers.

Love,
DeeDee Gebhardt (former 3rd grade teacher at CCA)

Marla Taviano said...

I popped over from Sandi Faulk's blog. What a blessing your story is! Glory and glory and more glory to God!! Wow!