Friday, September 26, 2008

Where does my help come from?

This just doesn't get easier. All of the things people say about grief are true. It's unpredictable. It's a rollercoaster. It comes in waves. Right now I feel like I've been hit by a tsunami. How is it possible to go from calmly watching the Presidential debates to sobbing uncontrollably? How can I go from being perfectly OK and in control of my emotions to being a wreck? My only explanation is that the power of my emotion is rooted in the powerful love of my Mother. She was such an incredible human being with an enormous capacity for love, forgiveness and grace. She daily lived an examplary life. A life that made a difference. A life that invested in others, cared for others, loved others. My hope is to daily strive to be a fraction like her. To put others first. To have a serving, giving heart...I don't think I come close. But I'm trying. And, when I need encouragement I turn to the scriptures. Tonight, the verses of comfort come from Psalms.

Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am still praying for your family. I am praying the Lord continues to strengthen you and your family - that you will have less of the low times. Praying he continues to heal you and take away the hurt.
My daughter attends PK4 at CCA. I really wish Cheri was still there. I met with her briefly when I was getting my daughter enrolled and the school is different without her. She was so friendly and loving - that aspect is now missing. I so wish that my daughter could have known your mom.
Be strong in the Lord -our family will keep praying for you.